Sheep Inventory Up AgainAccording to the U.S. Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Statistics Service’s annual Sheep and Goats Report, all sheep and lamb inventory in the United States on Jan. 1 totaled 5.32 million head, up 1 percent from the same time in 2015.
States with the largest increases in sheep and lamb numbers last year included: North Dakota, 14 percent; Kentucky, 10 percent; Pennsylvania, Tennessee and West Virginia, 9 percent.
Breeding sheep inventory at 3.97 million head increased 1 percent from 3.94 million head on Jan. 1, 2015. Ewes 1 year old and older, at 3.13 million head, were slightly above last year. Market sheep and lambs on Jan. 1 totaled 1.36 million head, up 1 percent. Market lambs comprised 94 percent of the total market inventory, while market sheep comprised the remaining 6 percent.
Shorn wool production in the United States during 2015 was 27.1 million pounds, up 1 percent from 2014. Sheep and lambs shorn totaled 3.68 million head, unchanged from 2014. The average price paid for wool sold in 2015 was $1.45 per pound for a total value of $39.3 million, up 1 percent from $38.9 million in 2014.
For the full report, visit, USDA.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/current/SheeGoat/SheeGoat-01-29-2016.pdf.