Around the States
Sheep Day to Focus on ResearchThe 2017 Ohio Sheep Day is scheduled for July 15 at the OARDC Sheep Research Unit, location of a major portion of sheep research being conducted at Ohio State University. The OARDC Sheep Research Unit is located in Wayne County at 5743 Fredericksburg Rd., Wooster, OH 44691.
Ohio Sheep Day will offer visitors the opportunity to visit a successful sheep farming operation dedicated to sheep production in a profitable way. Sheep farmers and anyone interested in sheep management and production are invited to attend. A lamb luncheon is included as part of registration and NO pre-registration is required.
The OARDC Sheep Research Unit hosts a commercial sheep operation concentrating its efforts on sheep research involving many aspects of sheep production and management. The farm is located in northeastern Ohio, where gently rolling terrain makes it an ideal location for grain crops as well as ruminant livestock production.
This year will once again focus on programming, which will increase and improve the productivity and profitability of sheep and other small ruminant operations.
A list of programs includes:
• OARDC Sheep Research Updates – Dr. Francis Fluharty, OSU Animal Sciences
• Pasture Walks with the Experts – Bob Hendershot, Green Pasture Services and Rory Lewandowski, OSU Extension
• Beginning and Novice Shepherd’s Sessions – Roger Shearer and Doug Clevenger, OSU Animal Sciences
• Current Research: The Effect of Weaning Age on Lamb Health and Performance – Brady Campbell, OSU Animal Sciences
• The Impact of Internal Parasites on Sheep Operations – Dr. Jeff McCutcheon, OSU Extension
• Managing Primary Predator Issues on Sheep and Livestock Farms – Tommy Butler, U.S. Department of Agriculture
A trade show will also take place at the event, where attendees can visit and purchase supplies and equipment. This show will deal with several aspects of sheep production and management.
In addition to the upcoming Ohio Sheep Day, prospective shearers should make plans now to attend the Ohio Statewide Shearing School on Sept. 15-16 at the Dave Cable Farm in Hebron, Ohio. The class is limited to 15 students and registration is $50 per student. Registration forms are available at OhioSheeop.org and must be returned by Sept. 1.
For further information on sheep programs in Ohio, contact Roger A. High at 614-246-8299 or by email at email@example.com. Additional information and directions to the site can also be found at OhioSheep.org.