Help Eradicate Scrapie
· Participate in APHIS’ sample submission program . The program is provided at no cost to the producer, and asks that producers submit samples from sheep 18 months of age or older
· Officially identify your sheep/goats before they the leave your farm. Call 1-866-USDA-Tag to get official tags at no cost.
Updated Scrapie Free Flock Certification Program Standards
May 2016 -- Scrapie Program Standards Volume 2: Scrapie Free Flock Certification Program
May 2016 -- Summary of Major Revisions to the Scrapie Free Flock Certification Program Standards
To learn more about the National Scrapie Eradication Program, click here.
Scrapie in Sheep and Goats Proposed Rule
November 4, 2015 -- ASI Final Scrapie Comments -- The Industry Awaits USDA's Review of the Comments
September 10, 2015 -- Federal Register Proposed Rule
November 16, 2015 -- Federal Register Extension to the Comment Period
In a cooperative effort between ASI and APHIS a presentation about the Scrapie Eradication Program has been developed for producers.
In a cooperative effort between ASI and APHIS a quarterly newsletter about the Scrapie Eradication Program has been developed for State and Federal partners. This publication updates field staff with information ASI has published throughout that quarter.
- June 2018 Scrapie Eradicate It -- New Tool to Protect Goats
- June 2017 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Scrapie Submissions Needed
- March 2017 Scrapie Eradicate It -- No U.S. Classical Scrapie Cases Since April 2016
- September 2016 Scrapie Eradicate It -- SFCP Standards Have Been Updated
- June 2016 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Testing, Breeding Important in Fight with Scrapie
- March 2016 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Indiana: Ready for Anything
- September 2015 Scrapie Eradicate It -- APHIS Proposes Scrapie Regulation Changes
- June 2015 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Separate Efforts: Scrapie Eradication & Animal Disease Traceability
- March 2015 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Remember to Educate, Report and Submit
- December 2014 Scrapie Eradicate It -- APHIS Sheep Priorities Focused on Scrapie
- September 2014 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Official ID Tags an Invaluable Tool
- June 2014 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Sheep Producers Told Scrapie Eradication Remains Goal
- March 2014 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Finding the Remaining Cases
- September 2013 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Federal Tagging Requirements
- May 2013 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Multi-Pronged Approach to Eradicate Scrapie
- October 2012 Scrapie Erdicate It -- How to Eradicate the Remaining Cases
- June 2012 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Surveillance in Goats
- September 2011 Scrapie Eradicate It
- June 2011 Scrapie Eradicate It
- March 2011 Scrapie Eradicate It
- December 2010 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Infected and Source Flocks New Statuses
- September 2010 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Scrapie Eradication Is In Sight Brochure Available
- June 2010 Scrapie Eradicate It -- APHIS Changes NOR98-like Scrapie Policy
- March 2010 Scrapie Eradicate It -- National Scrapie Eradication Program Makes Significant Progress
- December 2009 Scrapie Eradicate It
- September 2009 Scrapie Eradicate It -- It’s Time to Commit: Producers Crucial Part in Scrapie Eradication
- June 2009 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Scrapie Chapter Revised at OIE
- March 2009 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Scrapie Topics Discussed at ASI Annual Convention
- December 2008 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Infected and Source Flocks New Statuses by Year
- September 2008 Scrapie Eradicate It -- Brochure for Youth Involvement
- June 2008 - Scrapie Eradicate It -- Notice the Signs for Eradication
- March 2008 - Scrapie Eradicate It -- Nor98-Like Scrapie Found in the United States
- December 2007 - Scrapie Eradicate It -- Changes in Scrapie Program Make it Consistent with OIE
- September 2007 - Scrapie Eradicate It -- Mid Program Numbers Look Promising
- September 2006 - Scrapie Eradicate It -- Consistent State Deadline Passes
- June 2006 - Scrapie: Eradicate It -- Consistent State Status Deadline Quickly Approaching
- March 2006 - Scrapie: Eradicate It -- Work Needed by Some States to Maintain Consistent State Status after Sept. 30
Scrapie Eradication Is In Sight, You Are the Key to Finding the LAST CASES!
Eradicating Scrapie from the U.S. Flock ~ Regulatory Scrapie Slaughter Surveillance Program
Scrapie from A to Z ~ Youth Brochure
Scrapie: A Review -- June 1997 - Authors: L.A. Detwiler, A.I. Jenny, R. Rubenstein and N.E. Wineland
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Veterinary Services portion of the USDA Web site contains the latest information on scrapie. In order to find the remaining scrapie infected sheep and goats and to demonstrate to the world that the U.S. is scrapie free, we need more sample submissions from mature sheep and goats that die on farm. The only diagnostic tests currently available to determine if a sheep or goat has scrapie require brain or lymphoid tissue. To access the USDA/APHIS/VS Scrapie web site, click here .
The National Institute for Animal Agriculture also spearheaded a Scrapie Education Initiative . Review documents for the sheep and the goat industries.