ASI Photo Contest Winners Named
Fifteen award-winning photos were selected by a panel of judges from nearly 300 entries in the 2017 American Sheep Industry Association Photo Contest. The winning photographers were notified this week, and their entries are featured in October 2017 issue of the Sheep Industry News.
“I’d like to congratulate each of the winning photographers, and also thank them for their help in promoting the American sheep industry,” said ASI President Mike Corn of New Mexico. “The ASI staff will use many of the submitted photos in brochures, educational presentations, and the Sheep Industry News in the years to come. Through the years, the photo contest has become an invaluable way to document and preserve the history of our great industry.”
California’s Ashley Loyd routinely places in the ASI Photo Contest, and 2017 was no exception. She took top honors for her photo Home Free in the action category, and also earned first place in the open division with Loading Up. She was the only photographer in 2017 to grab a cash prize with two different photos. First-place photographers in each category earned $125, while second place paid $75 and $50 went to third place.
Here are the top three in each category:
- First Place: Ashley Loyd, California, Loading Up
- Second Place: Kristin Bieber, Montana, Feeding Ewes
- Third Place: Linda Dufurrena, Nevada, Horns of a Ram
- First Place: Ashley Loyd, California, Home Free
- Second Place: Larry Blain, Utah, New Snow
- Third Place: Jenny Osguthorpe, Utah, Gulp, Gulp
- First Place: Amy Kidd, North Carolina, Huck & Finn
- Second Place: Sharon Woolman, Michigan, Mother’s Love
- Third Place: Amy Schwake, Wisconsin, Super Moon
- First Place: Brad Osguthorpe, Utah, Fall is the Air Out West
- Second Place: Sharon Salisbury O’Toole, Wyoming, Lambing Shed
- Third Place: Kathleen Brown, Montana, Evening Watch
- First Place: Elaine Bristol, Michigan, Beautiful Inside & Out
- Second Place: Morgan McKenzie, Oregon, Locks
- Third Place: Holly Ollila, South Dakota, The Warmest Spot
While it didn’t place in the top three in the action category, Ollila’s Summer Range Ahead appears on the cover of the Sheep Industry News’ annual photo issue in October. Many of the winning photos (and a few others) can also be found in the 2018 ASI Calendar, which ASI members will receive with their December 2017 issue of the Sheep Industry News.