Shearing Schools Announce 2018-19 Dates
October 5, 2018
A handful of shearing schools have announced their dates for 2018 and 2019.
In addition to learning to shear in a hands-on manner, the schools offer teaching on equipment, animal welfare and staying in shape for the physically demanding task. Equipment is supplied, but students are often encouraged to bring any equipment they have, as well.
These schools offer training for a wide variety of students – from hobby farmers looking to shear their own flocks to those with aspirations of shearing professionally.
- Kansas Sheep Shearing School – Oct. 19-21 in Manhattan, Kan. For information, contact Alison Crane at email@example.com.
- North Dakota Shearing School – Nov. 17-19, in Hettinger, N.D. For information, contact Christopher Schauer at Christopher.firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.ndsheep.org.
- South Dakota Shearing School – Dec. 5-7, in Brookings, S.D. For information, contact Jeff Held at 605-690-7033, Jeffrey.Held@sdstate.edu, or visit https://www.sdstate.edu/agriculture-biological-sciences/animal-science/sheep-shearing-school.
- Texas A&M AgriLife Shearing School – Jan. 12-14, 2019, in San Angelo, Texas. For information, visit https://agrilife.org/sheepandgoat/registration/
- Utah State University Shearing School – Jan. 17-19, 2019, Details To Be Announced.
- Missouri University Extension Shearing School – March 6-7, 2019, in Jefferson City, Mo. For information, contact Erin Brindisi at 573-681-5859 or email BrindisiE@LincolnU.edu.
- Washington State Beginning Shearing School – April 2-6, 2019, in Moses Lake, Wash. An Advanced Shearing School is April 7, 2019, also in Moses Lake. For information, contact Sarah Smith at 509-754-2011, ext. 4313, email@example.com, or visit http://www.wssp.org.
- Tennessee Annual Shearing School – April 26-27, 2019, in Murfreesboro, Tenn. For information, contact Mark Powell at 615-519-7796, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.tennesseesheep.org.
- Western Pennsylvania Shearing School – April 26-27, 2019, in Scenery Hill, Penn. For information, contact Walt Bumgarner at email@example.com or 724-438-0111.